2018 SUMMIT PROGRAM
Thursday, September 20, 2018
Please return to this page for program updates
12:30 – 2:00 p.m.
(Lory Student Center Theatre)
Shared Values of Agriculture
(Optional pre-Summit session; part of CSU AgWeek)
Join inspiring agriculturalists, students, and teachers as they share perspectives about the critical and exciting role that Agriculture has in today’s society and in the future. Shared values come into focus through the debut showing of short videos, inspirational presentations and engaging discussion.
- Temple Grandin, Professor, Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University
- Joshua Williams, Founder, Joshua's Heart Foundation
- Sarah Greichen, CSU student and Founder, "Score A Friend"
3:00 – 4:30 p.m.
(Lory Student Center 308-10)
EPA Smart Sectors Roundtable Discussion
(Optional pre-Summit session, open to the public)
You are invited to participate in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s agriculture and food production Smart Sectors roundtable discussion prior to Thursday’s opening reception.
The roundtable is focused on identifying practical solutions to various environmental regulatory, permitting, and compliance challenges to achieve improved environmental outcomes.
Click here for more information.
5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
(Lory Student Center Ballroom C/D)
National Western Center as a regional and global platform for agricultural innovation
- Mark Sirangelo, Chief Executive Officer, QuanStar, LLC
- Jocelyn Hittle, Director, Denver Program Development, CSU System
Friday, September 21, 2018
(Lory Student Center Ballroom C/D, unless noted otherwise)
Ajay Menon, Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences, Colorado State University; Director, Colorado Agricultural Experiment Stations
|Panel - Innovation in Prevention & Prediction
The discussion will convene diverse perspectives to explore cutting-edge science and innovation directed at the prevention and prediction of both naturally-occuring and external threats to America’s food supply.
(Lory Student Center Ballroom B)
Panel Discussion - Innovation in Mitigation & Response
The discussion will feature thought leaders from the front lines of the agricultural industry showcasing innovative processes and technologies that enable a swift and comprehensive response to foodborne outbreaks, including advancements in traceability and mitigation.
- Alfred Almanza, JBS Global Head of Food Safety and Quality Assurance; former Deputy Under Secretary for Food Safety and former Administrator of the Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Nathan Dorn, Chief Executive Officer, Food Origins
- Stephen Laughlin, Vice President and General Manager, Global Consumer Industry, IBM Corporation
- Moderator - Dr. Keith Belk, Professor; Ken & Myra Monfort Endowed Chair, Center for Meat Safety & Quality, Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Tom Vilsack, CEO and President of the US Dairy Export Council, former Iowa Governor and US Secretary of Agriculture; CSU Strategic Adviser of Food & Water Initiatives at the National Western Center and Global Chair for the International Board of Counselors on Food & Water Initiatives